Just when we thought things were going nowhere, they went nowhere further.
For those of you who follow along with this blog, you know that Orlando was expecting a phone call from the school system in Nebraska during the month of April. A phone call offering him an interview for the teaching job that he has to land before we can call our move official. Well, it’s May 2 and still no phone call. So this weekend, Orlando and I started talking. What do we do? Should he send yet another email to the human resources director, a very nice lady he actually knows? Or should he call? Or should we just wait it out and see? And then the dreaded, “Do we have a Plan B?”
Ugh. I hate Plan B’s. They are my personal definition of The Worst. I’m definitely a Plan A kind of gal.
So he came home from work today, and after a quick chat in the kitchen about the details he should ask about on the phone, he made the call. And miraculously, the woman was actually still in her office at 5pm central time. About 20 minutes later he returns to the kitchen. Quietly. With a strange look on his face. “Well?” I ask.
“Well, there’s good news and bad news. I’m going to tell you the bad news first.”
“Okay.” I brace myself for the absolute worst. Thinking things like: there are no positions available in a district that hired 350 people last year. They’ve decided to not hire teachers with as much experience as Orlando. They’re furloughing teachers left and right like they are here.
“She says it could be June until she can interview anybody.”
“Really.” is all I say. “Why?”
“Something about the union not liking it if she hires new people until the existing teachers have completely shifted around. And since the schools just found out last week how many teachers they can have based on the census, the existing teachers are still shifting.”
“Okay,” I say. “What’s the good news?”
“The good news is that 138 teachers are retiring. They’re still going to hire about 200-250 teachers this year, and that I have a good chance because I worked for them before. And that I have a better chance because my principal there really liked me.” And then the final, “And oh, she said she had been looking at my file five minutes before I called.”
“That is good news.” I say. “You’re on her radar. But wow, June. What about selling our house? What about packing for the move? We can’t wait until June to figure all that stuff out.”
“I know.” Is all he said.
And for a brief moment, I was tempted to enter the land of Limbo. That tragic place where one really doesn’t know what’s going on and you’re simply driven and tossed around by the howling wind. And then I remembered. Hey, God told us to do this. We need to press on. So I turned to Orlando and declared, “It’s just going to take a little more faith than we thought, that’s all.”
Oh how easy it can be to say words like that. The challenge comes in living it. We’ve staked our lives, our kids’ lives on the reality of this move happening. I have quit my beloved job, we’ve withdrawn our boys from school, we’ve packed a hundred boxes, we’re ready to sell our house. All of this hinging on this job and all of it needing to be done sooner rather than later. Oh no! Plan B here we come!
Or maybe not. When it comes right down to it, why can’t we stay right on Plan A? Every other piece is in place. Why wait to act on what we believe is God’s will for our lives? I still have no doubt Orlando will get his job. Why do we need some person out there to verify what we believe God has already said? Maybe we need that much faith. Maybe that much faith is a requirement.
So I suggest this to Orlando. Let’s just pack up the house. Let’s just move out. We’ll take the stuff off the walls, forget about “staging” our home and what needs to be here to make that happen. We’ll just empty the place of everything except furniture, put it all in our storage unit right here in town. We head out to Nebraska in June, right when we planned, taking the stuff we need for the summer and fall. Then when the hiring comes, and it will come, we put our house on the market. When it sells, we come back to sign the papers, collect our furniture, and empty the storage unit. End of story. The worst that could happen is that we’d have a few boxes to move back in if the whole thing falls through. Which, of course, it won’t.
He warms to the idea. Then he called his parents. And his conservative, careful mother had this to say: “Just sell the house.” she says. “The worst that could happen is that you’d have to rent until you find a new one.”
Wow, trumped in faith by my mother-in-law. Wouldn’t be the first time.
So we’ve got a lot to think about tonight. A lot of decisions to make. But one thing is certain: we’re going to keep our eyes on the ball. I have ten days left to serve in a job I’ve laid down on the altar of His will. We have a house to pack and a massive yard sale to organize. We have a new life to plan. We just can’t sit around waiting for all the messy details to come into line to move forward. June will be here before we know it, and the job will come. So until then, we believe what we do not see. We hope in Him to finish what He started. And we seek His will in how to best please Him in the journey. Pray for us as we try to stay strong.
Like I said, it’s just going to take a little more faith than we thought.
The Nebraska Sky